Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Checked Off

One of the things on my before baby to-do list was to make a nursing cover. My friend Katie sweetly let me borrow hers, but I ended up using it as a pattern to make my own. I wanted to be able to make mine a bit wider to provide a little better coverage and also wanted the fun of picking out some cute fabric.

They didn't have these types of nursing covers 4+ years ago (or at least I wasn't aware of them) and I remember having such a hard time trying to nurse with just a blanket. Mara Kate would pull it off, I couldn't tell what she was doing and it was just cumbersome all the way around.

I love that this one uses boning to create a "window" for mom to see what is happening underneath the cover but without allowing the rest of the world to see. Also a genius design to create a strap that goes around the mother's neck (sort of like an apron) so it can't be pulled off by a snatchy baby.

So, I now have that item checked off my list and I'm very happy with how it turned out.


Finished product



Close-up of the fabric I chose.
I love Hobby Lobby and really wish we had one in Rome.




And, I cut up a blank birp cloth I had and sewed it into the each corner of the cover for spit up accidents or whatever. Also, I created a little pocket that I think is big enough to hold a little diaper too.

The other great thing is that I spent under $10 on everything I needed for this project and I know they sell similar nursing covers for about $35.00, so I did save money by making it myself.

And, I know this may sound silly to some, but it was special to me. When my grandmother passed away, one of the things I inherited of hers was her sewing box. Well, I didn't have any brown thread of my own, but when I went to her box she did, so I was able to make this cover that I'll be using for her namesake by using some of her thread. :)

7 comments:

Katie said...

Wow it looks great! You ARE Martha Stewart!

P.S.....mine cost $40!!! Wish I could do that stuff...I'd be rich since I'd save all my $$! ha!

Susanna Rose said...

Looks great! Good for you!

Susanna Rose said...

Would you mind saying where you got the pattern for the cover? I am thinking of trying to get some help in making one myself cause I know I'll be wanting one like this too!:)

Jana said...

Susanna,

A friend of mine emailed me a tutorial she had for one she had made, but hers was double sided and I decided I didn't want to go to the trouble of making one that was "lined", especially since I'm having a Summer baby, I wanted it as lightweight as possible.

I borrowed Katie's Bebe Au Lait brand cover and just used it as my "guide" in making my own...it was pretty simple. Except, I made mine larger as I wanted to make sure I had plenty of coverage. Good luck onmaking one too!

The Vinsons said...

Yeah! Great job. I LOVE the polka dots and brown color. I'm sure it will look great on you too. Best wishes with your nesting : )

Susanna Rose said...

Thanks Jana!:)

Dad said...

I'm sure Grandma would be pleased to know how her thread was used!