Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Breaking In the Kitchen

...by baking.

I feel like until you bake cookies in your kitchen it isn't truly broken in. All the cooking I've done in my current kitchen over the past weeks has been necessity cooking only. You know, the kind of cooking you do because your family simply has to eat.

But, when I can bake something sweet it means that life, at least on that particular day, isn't overly busy and I can do some cooking that is really just for fun and even frivolous.

So, yesterday since we were having leftovers for supper and I didn't have to be in the kitchen for any other reason, I decided it was a good day to break in the kitchen by making a batch of cookies. After Mara Kate's rest time (that's what we are calling it these days, as most days actual napping doesn't happen, but I still think that having some quiet time on her bed is good for her soul and for mine), we baked some chocolate chip cookies together. We had fun and I am pleased with my oven's baking performance so far.
You never know with a new oven if it is too hot or too cold, you always have to play around with it to see if you should adjust baking times, etc. Since I wasn't sure, I just set the timer for the recommended time and checked them as soon as it beeped....and they turned out p-e-r-f-e-c-t! I love cookies that are chewy and soft...and these turned out beautifully.

Mmmm....so yummy with a glass of cold milk.

Want one? You'll have to drive to Rome to get it though. :)



Mara Kate enjoying the fruits of our labor.

Kane, I hope you took some to work with you this morning, cause they might be gone by the time you get home. :)

2 comments:

Dad said...

Well, I guess I have no choice but to come to Rome!

gator said...

Yeah! I agree! :] They look SOOOOO good!!! Make some more, because I'm coming to Rome to get some of those cookies.