Friday, March 20, 2009

A Godsend

This has been a crazy week for us. I woke up Monday morning not feeling great. I had a sore throat and a constant throbbing headache. Kane's sister was due to arrive on Tuesday for a 3 day visit and Kane's 6 month research review was on Wednesday morning as well. I made myself go to the grocery store on Monday because I had lots I needed! Part of what I needed was food for Kane to serve to his committee during his review. I went to the store that morning and used up all the energy I had. That evening I went to bed with a 101.5 fever and chills. I was just feeling awful!

Elizabeth checked in with us to see if she needed to change her plans for coming and we begged her to get here as soon as possible! I was feeling like there was no way I could do all I needed to do to help Kane get ready for his review while I was so sick. Elizabeth came just at the right time and was an absolute godsend! Tuesday we didn't do a lot. Elizabeth put supper together, she bathed Mara Kate and put her to bed. We just chilled that evening and watched American Idol together all while Kane was working. He worked until 10pm Tuesday evening and if I had been home alone there is no way I could have gotten Mara Kate taken care of on my own. I cannot tell you how thankful I was to have an extra pair of hands and also the company while Kane was focusing 100% on his review.

Wednesday morning I got up feeling worse and Kane made an appointment for me to go to the tech health clinic. I was thinking I might have strep throat. Again, Elizabeth being here made it possible for me to go to the clinic and leave Mara Kate with her. While I was gone she also put together all the food Kane needed for his review and was planning on driving it over to Kane's office before his review. I didn't have to worry about a thing!

After finding out that my strep test was negative I came home hoping this virus would let go soon! I got home right as Elizabeth and Mara Kate were heading to the car to deliver Kane's food so I just rode with them. That afternoon I rallied a bit and we decided to get out for a bit. Since I knew I didn't have strep I just pushed through and tried to enjoy the time we had with Elizabeth. We went to a couple stores to browse and then came home and got ready to meet Kane for supper. We went out to celebrate the fact that Kane passed his review and also Elizabeth's birthday which was on Monday! We ended up having a really nice supper together.

Yesterday Elizabeth and I went to a bead store up in Buckhead. Since Elizabeth makes jewelry she is always on the look out for bead shops in new places. We went to this store the last time she was here and wanted to go back. She bought some beads and I bought some too. When we got home she helped me design a new necklace with matching earrings! So fun!

It turned out to be a wonderful visit with just the right amount of fun, relaxing and also help from her just when we needed it most! Thanks Elizabeth for making the trip! We love you!


Tuesday afternoon Mara Kate wanted Elizabeth to do "school" with her since BeBe is a real teacher! She learned the sounds that A, B, C and M make. They had such fun!
(Since it was St. Patty's Day Eliz arrived wearing green! Good thing too, because we were all prepared to give her a good pinch, but thankfully she was spared!)



Making a "cake in a cup". Eliz brought the makings and the recipe for "5 minute Cake in a Cup." If you ever have a craving for a piece of cake, but don't want an entire cake sitting around your house this is a great "single serving" cake that can literally be ready in 5 minutes. If you want the recipe let me know!



I had to post this picture! We were trying to get some pictures with the pretty daffodils at Kane's office and this was what happened when a tiny little pine needle poked Mara Kate in the toe. Do we have a Drama Queen on our hands?!!



Mara Kate and her BeBe!



Kane with his big sis! Doesn't he look so nice all dressed up?!
The people at work aren't used to seeing him in a tie!



The cake Mara Kate and I made for Elizabeth (before I was feeling too bad).
We celebrated by lighting 30 candles for her milestone birthday!




Mara Kate helping blow out the candles!



We stopped in at Chick-Fil-A for lunch yesterday afternoon.
It was a nice break and the lemonade felt so good on my poor little throat.



Acting silly while making jewelry.



My new necklace Eliz made for me and helped me design.
I LOVE it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want the cake in a cup recipe!! Single serving cake sounds awesome.

Katie said...

I want the recipe too!!!

Love,
K

Tara said...

Sounds like a fun visit! I recently saw that 'cake in a cup' recipe and printed it off but haven't tried it yet.

Anonymous said...

Glad you all had fun with miss Elizabeth! Sorry you were not feeling well! ;( That's no fun!
MK is TOTALLY a be a drama queen! Ha!
The necklace and earrings are SO cute and pretty!
Hope you feel better soon! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hate that you felt bad while having company, but glad you had the help!! I'd love the recipe too :) Beautiful jewelry!!! :) I want to see it in person...bring it with you next week!

Anonymous said...

Post the recipe!! I am so glad Elizabeth came at just the right time! I'll bet MK loved it too!!! Congrats to Kane on passing (tell him his Aunt Jane knew he would!!)

Andrea said...

Family makes the best friends! :-)
Love the new jewelry...check out my blog to win a prize for MK.
:-)