Monday, September 15, 2008

Back At It


I know that exercising is good for a person. I like the idea of being active and taking care of my body. I know all of that in my head and I believe it. But, it is harder for me to fit it into my daily (or even weekly) life. It is just too easy to push that task to the bottom of the list and not make it happen at all.

There are plenty of reasons for not exercising---Not having time to take yet another shower after getting sweaty. What do I do with my 2 year old while I am working out? I'm a busy mom and can't fit another regularly scheduled activity into my schedule. I can't afford a membership at the gym or I'm just too tired. These all hold some truth and are somewhat valid points, but they can also be called excuses!

We all go through seasons where we are motivated to do something and then less motivated. It is easier to start a new good habit than it is to stick with it day in and day out. I know this this to be very true in my own life.

But, I've decided to try again. That's a start, right?! To be more conscious of the need to get movin' on a regular basis. And, I actually can't use any of the excuses above because the apartment complex we live in has a free fitness center which includes a playroom where kiddos can play while parents work out. I have the blessing of being a stay at home mom and I really can and should use some of my time to be more active. We all make time to do those things we want to do. I know it won't always be easy or convenient, but I'm starting afresh with a new goal and trying to get down to the fitness center for 30 minutes, 3 times a week. Doable right?
I don't have to drive anywhere, worry about parking or traffic. I simply have to walk down the hall, down some stairs and I'm there. It's crazy I haven't been doing this since the day we moved in.

So, the reason I'm posting about this is so I know that you know that I want to do this. I'm thinking of it as a sort of accountability for myself. So, feel free to ask me later, "How's it going?".

And, a little question--what do you do for regular exercise? How do you make yourself stick with it? Any thoughts on how to keep with a newly started good habit? I would love any suggestions for making this a successful part of my normal routine and not something I do only on occasion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jana, funny you should post this right now! I started ONE week ago walking in the mornings. I get up, throw my shoes and walking clothes on and get movin' while Jeph is still in the house to be with the kids and before the sun starts beating down. I realized I couldn't be consistent if it always involved the heat outside and getting the stroller out and 2 kids ready to go with me. It's hard to get out of bed, but once I get out that front door with the iPod and start walking, it feels GREAT! Perfect way to start my day, listening to some praise music and watching the sun come up before I start changing diapers, fixing food, wiping faces (and bottoms!) :) We need to really do the accountability thing!

Unknown said...

hi jana
im with heidi

I do it first thing in the morning.
Same thing , before Jim leaves.

I also recently got a bike so getting out after dinner is sometimes doable also.

Thats cool that you have a place right there where u can take marakate, does that cost you?

Shari ( jeph's sister)

Jana said...

It's free for residents, so it's really a perfect situation. I think first thing in the morning can work, but I can also find late afternoon before Kane gets home from work is working for me too. That way I can get everything I need to do early in the day behind me and then go get sweaty. I can come up shower and be out in time for Kane to come home and eat.

Jana said...

The playroom isn't "staffed". Just a room with toys where she can play while I exercise, but I still have to keep an eye on her...it's not a place I can drop her off while I am there...just an open room that connects to the workout room.