Sunday, September 23, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me!

When I had my birthday back in August my dear, sweet, thoughtful husband gave me a home improvement "multiple choice" birthday gift. He told me that since we had just moved into a new apartment he wanted to get me something that would improve the apartment as my birthday gift.
He gave me 3 choices on what I could buy and he also gave me the joy of being able to pick out my own gift, so I could get exactly what I wanted (again, very thoughtful). :)

The choices?

~a ceiling fan for our bedroom

~paint and supplies to paint one room in our apartment

~a piece of art for our hall
(to cover the unattractive looking breaker box the builders placed smack-dab in the middle of the wall in our hallway).

I decided against the paint (although it was a tempting idea) because we are renting. Although our apartment complex allows it's renters to paint, I decided I didn't want to have to prime over it when the time came for us to move (the stipulation) and also, I wanted something I could take with me when we go, since we know we won't be living here long-term.

I really wanted something to cover the breaker box in the hallway, but I also knew I might have a hard time finding something the right dimensions since the purpose was to cover up an eye sore...so, I decided I would just take my time and look around for different pieces of art---and if I couldn't find anything I liked I would just go with the ceiling fan.

So, I've had my eye open for the past 2 months and I finally came across something I liked at Target. No, it isn't an original of any kind, but with what our budget could allow I am very happy with what I found...it does the job, fits my decorating taste and looks pretty at the same time.

So what do you think?



The hallway "before"...


and now...




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks very nice, and will be much easier to take with you than a ceiling fan would have been. We'll have to plan a time to come down and see it before we move.

H said...

It looks great! We have an unsightly breaker box too...and I am on the lookout as well for something similar.

Katie said...

The picture looks great! I would have picked that option too!!!! Good gift to yourself! hahahahaa!

love,
Katie :)

Becca said...

Our house even has the breaker box smack in the hallway to our bedrooms, right across from our bedroom door. We had one of the enlargements from our wedding professionally framed and it now hides our eye-sore. :) I'm glad you found something you liked. It's really pretty! I love making a home more home-y. :)
Blessings,
Becca

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!