Thursday, September 01, 2005

A Bit of a Scare

Yesterday morning while I was shopping for a few groceries I happened across a puddle of water in the frozen food isle. Being completely unaware of the water and wearing my trustly Old Navy flip flops (which have absolutely no tread or traction) I walked directly into the puddle and I did what any normal person would do---I slipped and fell!

Yes, it was quite scary in the moment, not to mention embarassing. As I got myself back on my feet and I collected my belongings which had spilled out of my little basket and across the floor, the first thought that came to my mind was not: Am I hurt? Did my clothes get wet? Did anyone see me? No, the absolute first thought that came to my mind was--Is the baby ok?

I was wet and I don't think anyone saw me and I didn't appear to be hurt---so I continued shopping hoping and praying that any moment I would feel a nudge or kick to reassure me that everything was still intact. Thankfully the way I fell was more like the splits with a leg twist, rather than forward onto my stomach. After checking out and limping back to the car I drove directly home and sat still for what seemed like an eternity until I felt a little kick. The kick came, then anohter, then again even stronger. Praise the Lord!

The lesson learned from this? That you can love your unborn child in a way you didn't know you could. So that when YOU get hurt, but it affects your child, you somehow don't even care that you got wet and that you are feeling a bit sore. It's odd that even as a parent-to-be you automatically care more about the well-being of your child than yourself.

I know for you parents out there---this sounds like second nature---but I am just becoming aware of these things. I am so thankful to God for the many lessons He is already teaching me through pregnancy, as I grow in love for this child, about His love for me as HIS child. I am sure those lessons will continue once our little one arrives---but isn't God gracious to teach us more about Himself in and through ALL we do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jana, I am so glad you are alright. Since I fell in my first pregnancy I know exactly how you feel! It is true that your first thought is the baby. It is amazing how we grow as a parent to be concerned about that wee one before we even get to see it or hold it in our arms. Welcome to the amazing and wonderful world of parenthood. I love you so much. Love, Mom God is good!

Anonymous said...

Jana,
It's so fun to be mommies together! I look forward to many more conversations about how we love our babies more than we ever knew we could.
Love ya

Tara said...

I know exactly how you feel since I also fell when I was pregnant with Liam...nothing like that first kick! And by the way, as long as you are alive from now on, that feeling of immediate concern for your child's well-being will always be there!

Susanna Rose said...

Jana, I'm so glad that you and the baby are fine after the fall!!! Man, I have lived so many embarrassing moments such as yours that, though they may be abit painful too, are just very embarrassing, especially cause in my case it always happens that there are people around!!!(=

Anonymous said...

Glad you and Baby are well! That is scary, though I don't know these things firsthand. :)

Anonymous said...

Jana, How interesting it is to be at the next level. My thoughts, simultaneously, were "Is the baby OK?" and "Is MY baby OK?" When Grant was born, I told Heidi that I was so glad that she had a baby that she loved more than she thought possible, because that is the only way she could really, really know how I have felt about her all these years. I will tell you the same thing, even before your baby is born, but I will probably repeat my words when you are actually holding him/her in your arms and looking into his/her eyes as they look back at you. At least now you are already getting a hint about how much I love you!!