Saturday, August 27, 2005

Little One

"For you formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well...Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them." Psalm 139: 13-14,16


Isn't life amazing? I read the other day of a little baby who was due to be born less than a week before mine, but has already entered the world---14 weeks ahead of schedule. This little baby is doing ok, but is in intensive care and is expected to be there at least until November 29th (it's original due date). Reading about this little child made me stop and ponder the verses above and made me realize just how amazing life is and the fact that it can grow within our bodies---as God gently and lovingly knits it together in His timing. The other amazing thing to think about is that this is how each one of us began---how can you not realize God's power, might and love when you think back on the days when YOU were being formed in YOUR mother's womb?
I am so thankful to God for the womb He formed me in---and for a mother who loved me before she knew me and even up until today, some 25 years later.

Below is a letter, a letter I've written to the little one inside me:

Dear Little One,

Do you know that you are loved? You are. By me and by daddy too. But more importantly you are loved by our heavenly Father---the One who at this very moment is sustaining your life. He is causing you to grow and develop within me. Everytime I feel you kick, I am reminded of how much you have changed and grown since we first learned about you. I am reminded of the fact that it is all happening because of God. I know you are tiny and weak---but having you within me reminds me of how tiny and weak I am as well. Even though God has placed you in my womb, it is not me who is in control of all you are doing and how you are growing. Thank you little child for reminding me of who we are before our Father---helpless and weak. I truly need God the same way you do each day to continue to grow. He is the sustainer of life---for you today and forever more.

You are being woven together each day, you are being fearfully & wonderfully made, wonderful are our Father's works...and MY soul knows it very well!

I love you.

Mommy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My child,

Indeed, we are both looking forward to raising you in the fear and admonition of the Lord. I hope there is never a day when you don't know the Lord--with much anticipation, His mercy and grace will surround you and uphold you day by day. Your mother and I will, with the Lord's help, teach, discipline, love, hold, protect, provide, and encourage you to be the person who God has already made you to be.

We love you.

Anonymous said...

Reading that letter almost made me cry. Being a mom myself, I can cry so easily when I see the love of a mom for her child coming out so evidently. Jana, I can't wait to see you holding your little guy/girl in your arms! What a precious gift from God, the only One capable of giving such a wonderful gift! I love you and your little blessing!

Susanna Rose said...

BEAUTIFUL JANA!! You guys are going to be awesome parents!

p.s. thanks for the intense talk time last night!

Tara said...

Children are truly our greatest blessing in life as well as a good reminder of so many things! Good letter!

Anonymous said...

Of course you made me cry! It is an awesome and wonderful thing that God does by growing His children inside their mothers. A great privelege and gift from God to be a mother and feel that baby moving inside! It is awesome to feel the kicks, and it was an awesome reminder from you of what that can teach us! Great post! It is also an amazing wonderful thing to be the mother of someone who gives God the glory for all of that! I am truly blessed beyond words or even comprehension! It is a wonderful wonderful thing to be able to say that about ALL of my children. It reminds me of one of my very favorite verses. 3 John 4 The reason it is one of my favorites, of course is because I can say I can completely relate to it. I too pray and hope there is never a day when this precious child doesn't know the Lord. I am so in awe of what God has done in our family. I cannot wait to meet this grandchild and experience the joy and wonder once again this year! Wow! I love you all so much! Thanks Jana, for you wonderful reminder to us all! Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Jana,
Walking with you through this pregnancy, largely through pictures and posts, reminds me of when you were the little baby inside. At times, it was hard to believe that there was really a real baby in there. Even so, every time I saw Mom's tummy move or put my hand on her and felt a kick, my love for you grew even though I didn't know you. My mind tried to imagine what you would be like as a child, a teenager, an adult, but it couldn't. All I knew was that God was forming my child day by day and week by week. When you were finally born, I realized how much I really did already love you. I am so glad that now it is your turn to feel those same feelings for your own child!!

God did not stop forming you when you were born. Even more amazing, He used me and Mom to help form you into the remarkable young woman, and young mother, that you have become. We have come to realize that our job as parents doesn't end, it just changes. Our job now is to support you and trust you as you embark on the task of raising our grandchildren. I am so thankful to God that all three of our daughters turned out to be mothers that I have full confidence in to be really great parents!

It is true that you love your grandchildren just as much, although in a different way, as you love your own children. We already love that little person inside you more that we would have thought possible. We pray for your baby every day and are getting very anxious for it to finish growing and come out and play with Mimi and Grandpa!!