Monday, August 01, 2005

Things soft and cuddly

Last night my mother in law came for a visit. A fast little visit, with a great big purpose! She came bearing an old foam mattress that fits inside a little wooden cradle I currently have in storage. She also brought a brand new stark white twin sheet and some new vinyl material---the needed supplies to transform the little piece of gently used foam into something fresh, soft and cuddly for our baby's arrival.
After we all ate a nice dinner together we pulled out my sewing machine, pins, scissors and thread and went to work recovering the foam with the new cushy vinyl and making 3 cradle sized sheets out of the twin sheet she had brought.
We worked together measuring, cutting, pinning and stitching until all was finished---then I neatly folded the sheets and placed them in the drawer with several other baby items I have collected over the past several months.
What a neat and special feeling of accomplishment and privilege comes from working with your hands to prepare something for a child God has knit together and formed with His.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes me feel all happy inside! A cuddly little baby! Yay, yay, yay!

Anonymous said...

very warm and fuzzy... I suddenly feel like I need your husband to explain the chemical composition of that foam or something

Anonymous said...

Jana, I'm glad you had a good time and got everything ready for the cradle.

Susanna Rose said...

Wow...what a nice post. Very cozy, descriptive and very well constructed too. I like how you brought God's hands in at the end..really awesome! Excited for you!

Jana said...

Dad--me too! :)

Jordana said...

What a special time! :-) How fun it is to get things ready for YOUR baby! I'm so happy for you Jana...you are going to be an awesome MOM!

Jordana said...

Oh yeah...I love the new pic. That's great of both of you! :-)

Anonymous said...

Jana, I am so excited for you and Kane, and I am glad that you were able to share that time with Kane's Mom in preparing something for that wee little babe that is on it's way! What an exciting year for us all! Christmas will be so much fun! I cannot wait to come down here for the big event! I can't wait to hold your baby and look into it's eyes and watch the wonderment! God is so amazing! His miracles are so awesome! I love you all so much!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Jana,
I am glad your baby will have such a soft place to sleep, but i wouldn't have expected anything less from you, motherhood will come so naturally to you. Also, if your baby needs other options as to where to sleep or take a nap on occasion, my arms are totally open!
Aunt Heidi

Anonymous said...

well, actually my arms aren't free very often. So, if you'll hold Grant--my arms will be totally open!