Monday, April 28, 2008

Chicken Fajitas Tutorial

One of our regular meals around here is Fajitas and yellow rice (with saffron). Since our favorite kind of food is Mexican Kane and I both love this meal and make it almost every week.

I have probably cooked this particular meal around 150 times since we've been married, so I thought I'd share how I do it. Mostly this is for my older sister Tara, who asked me how I make it. Also, I must give credit to my younger sister, Heidi who passed her "at-home" fajitas recipe to me several years ago--so this isn't completely my own, although I have tweaked it a bit for our taste.


You will need:

Green Peppers, cut in strips
Onions, cut in strips
Chicken, cubed or cut in strips
McCormick Fajitas Seasoning Packet
Butter
Brown Sugar
Flour Tortillas
Sour Cream
Cheddar Cheese
Saffron Rice

Prep:

Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and place in toaster oven on about 200 degrees to warm while everything else cooks. You could also warm them in your microwave after everything else is ready (minus the aluminum foil).



Yellow Rice packet---pour desired amount in rice cooker (do not rinse it as it already has the seasoning on it) and add twice that amount in water.
A basic rice cooker is about $15 and worth every penny if you make rice as much as we do
(at least twice a week).



In two separate skillets begin cooking your meat and your peppers and onions.
This is what the seasoning packet I use looks like. We have tried several brands and McCormick's is our favorite BY FAR!!



I use my cast iron skillet for the peppers and onions. I think it helps them caramelize better.
Put a little butter and some brown sugar in your skillet. Allow the butter to begin melting and then pour in your peppers and onions.



While they cook I usually put some foil over the top.
This helps them cook faster and makes them really tender.



I put the raw chicken in a skillet sprayed with a little bit of olive oil cooking spray. When it gets to this point it is ready for the seasoning.



Add the dry seasoning packet



Them immediately add water.
I usually use the empty seasoning packet and fill it about half full of water.



This is what the peppers and onions look like when they are ready. I usually remove the foil once and stir while they are cooking. The onions will turn slightly brown when they are ready.



This is what the chicken will look like once the water you added has cooked off. Yum!!



Rice is ready. Kane likes to put rice in his tortilla. I like it as a side.



Additional toppings: cheddar cheese and sour cream.
You could also make guacamole, which makes them even better!



Ready to eat!

Once your chicken and peppers and onions are cut up, the entire meal can be ready in about 20 minutes.


6 comments:

Katie said...

YUM-O!! Mine don't look like that! I appreciate the step-by-step w/pics b/c I lost the email you sent me w/your instructions and when I made them last week I used the recipe on the back of the seasoning packet and they were not as good! I will use your blog as my guide next time! ha! I miss you! Let's try and play this week??
Love,
K

Anonymous said...

That looks really good, Jana! Maybe we should have that for supper sometime! Love ya! Love, Alley

Anonymous said...

Jana,

I love how you did that recipe with the pictures and all...that is way better than any cooking site I've been to in a long time.

I'm impressed!

Amanda M.

Betsy said...

I love the way you put recipes on your blog with photos! I think that's great!

The Matriarch said...

This looks delicious Jana and Rick loves meals like this so I'll have to try it!

Susanna Rose said...

Woops! My mom is visiting for the week and I didn't realize I was posting under her blogger name!;)

Susanna