Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Potty Train

A while ago Mara Kate and I had a conversation about her being potty trained and she thought I was talking about an actual train she could ride. Anyway, the beginning of this week she got a "ticket" for the potty train and has been riding it since Monday morning. :)

We started our first attempts at potty training Monday morning and I've committed this entire week to staying home and working with her on it. There have been moments of discouragement and encouragement and I know there will be plenty of accidents still to come, but I think she is starting to realize what the concept means and that she has to figure out how to make it to the potty while keeping all bodily fluids inside her until she gets there. She is also having to figure out how to let them come out once she is on the potty. It is something we all know, but also something we all had to figure out at one time or another. I told Kane that parenting (and potty training) is not for the lazy! It is a lot of work and takes a lot of mental energy trying to keep track of how long its been since they have peed, how much they have been drinking and watching them like a hawk to pick up on any body language or facial expressions indicating they may need to "go".

Kane tried to encourage me last night while we were going to bed by saying, "I don't know one 20 year old who still wears diapers, so we know she will eventually get the hang of it!" Ha! I sure hope so!

Here are our potty training stats as of now, the morning of Day 3.

Accidents: 4 (1 bm)
Successes: 5 (1 bm)

Diapers (using these when she is sleeping) after waking up: 2 wet, 1 dry



Where we have spent a majority of our time the last few days.


Mara Kate with her potty chart!
She gets stickers with every success and a hershey kiss for every bm.

She has worked hard for these stickers and we are very proud of her!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've been seriously training this week as well! Good luck!! It's not for tha lazy or faint of heart (or tummy!) Grant is showing some progress...the key is definitely staying home I've learned!

Anonymous said...

Well, today was a complete success. MK is learning the signals associated with needing to "go," but she's still learning the control aspect. Sometimes she sits for a little too long, basically waiting for it to come out involuntarily.

But we're encouraged though. This is way ahead of where I thought it would be (I figured increasing linearly, adding a success a day). We're going to continue to take this one step at a time for now: learning the signals, learning to hold it, and learning to let it go. We'll get there!

Anonymous said...

Well, like Kane said, we don't know any 20 year olds still wearing diapers, so hang in there! Good job, Mara Kate!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there...it will happen and then you will be amazed how she always needs to go every time you walk into a store. I think it is a game to see what every bathroom in Atlanta looks like.
I am proud of her...she will be on that potty train for a round trip in no time. =)

The Vinsons said...

Oh wow! What we have to look forward to. I love what she called it, a potty tain. It looks like things are going well. We will pray for you and MK.

Susanna Rose said...

personally, I think I'd go for the chocolate!;) You're doing a good job with getting her going...as I think about starting potty training with Micah at some point in the near future, I am very interested to see what other parents do and I like the chart idea!