Friday, August 08, 2008

My Grandpa

My Grandpa passed away last Monday, July 28th. His death was sudden and a shock to us all as he wasn't even sick. In fact, he was so well that an hour before he died he was out in his yard mowing his lawn. After mowing he cleaned the mower, put it away and went down to the basement to change into some clean clothes. He was sitting in his workshop when my grandmother found him.

When he didn't come upstairs for supper on time, she went down to check on him, fully expecting to see him working on his current stain-glass project or doing something in his wood working workshop. Instead, she found him sitting in his chair, already gone.

When I got the phone call that I've been dreading for years, it still seemed like it came too soon. I think it would have always seemed too soon as there is never a good or convenient time to lose someone you so dearly love. I know I am blessed to have made it this far with all my grandparents alive and healthy. But, no matter how old you are or how much time you have, it still doesn't seem like enough.

My Grandpa was loved by ALL! He was a servant and served others until his last breath. He died still able to do all the things he loved. He loved having a good looking yard, and it still looked perfect when I arrived at my Grandma's house the day after his death. He loved making stain-glass art and he was working on a beautiful butterfly. When he died it only lacked 3 pieces. Grandpa loved the Lord and loved his family. Grandpa loved making things out of wood and glass. I have a stain-glass rainbow and a tulip, a cradle, a baby doll bed, a treasure chest, a shelf and a toy box all made by him that I received for birthdays throughout my childhood. He even recently made a step stool for Mara Kate which he put her name on. These things have been special to me, but now that Grandpa is gone, I know I will cherish them even more.

Although I am missing him tremendously I am so comforted knowing that I will see him again someday. Thankfully he loved the Lord and was a wonderful example to his family of faith, love and a servant's heart. I couldn't have asked for more in a Grandpa.

Here are some of my favorite pictures I have of him. Please forgive the ones with a blur or glare, they weren't taken on a digital camera.

Also, both of my sisters wrote amazing posts on their blogs about our Grandfather and I simply could not write anything better, so if you are interested feel free to check out their blogs as well by clicking here and here.


Grandpa and me at their 50th Anniversary celebration.

I love, love this picture.


Grandpa and Grandma at our rehearsal dinner.


With their 5 granddaughters (and 1 great-granddaughter) at our wedding. :)


Mara Kate getting kisses from Grandpa, Christmas 2006.
He sure loved his grandbabies (and great-grandbabies)!


Grandma and Grandpa with Mara Kate. They were so in love and
were planning to celebrate their 60th Anniversary next month!


Dancing with Mara Kate.


All Smiles, as usual!


Playing in the back-yard with 3 of his great-grandchildren.


Relaxing with Mara Kate, September 2007.


Taking a cat nap. :) Something he did quite often.
We would laugh at him because he would snore and then wake himself up.


One of the last pictures I took with them.

5 comments:

Tara said...

Another wonderful post about Grandpa and of course, I am crying again looking at these pictures...when I am missing him I will come back to all these posts. I love the one of him and Mara Kate in the lawn chair...looks just like him!

Christy said...

These photos are so special Jana! Thanks for sharing them with all of us. Love,
CJY

Anonymous said...

Great photos and great post! I still can't believe it's true. We were so blessed and you did such a good job of saying that here! It's so easy to miss a man like Grandpa.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jana,

Great post, great pictures, and a great tribute to my Dad. Thank you so much. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Great Post! I cried, of course, once again! I printed your blog and the other 2 and gave to Grandma Friday night. I told her to read them when she was ready. Grandpa was easy to love and, as Heidi just said, easy to miss! Going over there and not seeing him is very hard. I love you, Mom