Thursday, May 08, 2008

Making Lemonade out of a Lemon

Yesterday I packed up some supplies and went with a friend to Cumming, GA. We were headed to a new Chick-Fil-A's grand opening, where the first 100 people in line get a free one year supply of Chick-Fil-A food (52 #1 combo meals). We were completely prepared with a tent, sleeping bags, portable DVD player, DVD's, snacks, books, etc. We were going to be there for the long haul.

Instead, we were there less than 5 minutes. When we arrived at around noon yesterday the parking lot was already full of people and tents. We immediately wondered if we were too late (even though we arrived a good 18 hours before the doors officially opened). And, yes, we were too late. They had already reached 138 people in line when they are only supposed to reward the first 100. So, we were very bummed!

We left and drove to another Chick-Fil-A to get some food and just hang out. We also decided to kill some time at a nearby mall since we literally had NO other plans!

It was such a downer day, but Kane sweetly decided that we'd go to Chili's for supper. We came home and watched the results show of American Idol and then I slept really well in my comfy , cozy bed. Not too bad. The only truly sad part is missing out on the free chicken sandwiches over the next 12 months. So sad.

But, while at supper last night I came up with a "fun mom" idea of taking advantage of the fact that I had borrowed a tent from my dear friend Bobbi Jo. I decided that I would pitch the tent in our living room for today and let Mara Kate play inside and pretend it was her own little play "house". We'll be returning the tent to it's rightful owner this weekend, but thought we'd have some fun anyway while we had it.

So, we assembled it last night and put some toys, books and pillows inside. This morning when Mara Kate woke up I told her we were going to eat her breakfast someplace new! She looked at me very curiously. As she walked into the living room this morning she looked very surprised and even more shocked when I unzipped the door and let her look inside! She was so excited! We both sat inside while she ate her breakfast and between bites she would look around and say, "This is SO nice!". She repeated that phrase at least 5 times during breakfast. It was so sweet. She has been in and out all morning and we are planning to eat lunch and supper inside too. It'll be a fun memory and a good way to make lemonade today out of a lemon of a day yesterday.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cute!! You are definitely a fun mom.
-Ashley Pigford

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to salvage some fun from an otherwise disappointing turn of events. It will probably be something MK will remember for a long time.

Anonymous said...

What a neat memory for you all! Have fun in your tent ALL DAY LONG!
Love, Mom

15010 said...

YEAH i am so glad you did were able to have a fun day!!! Love the tent pictures, i emailed my parents to check out your blog as they will remember that tent and me camping out in whenI was little, ok like 10 but I still played in it then! Oh memories. Your a great mom Jana so much fun! I want to be like you when I grow up! :-)

H said...

When the Chic-fil-A opened near us they had a similar promotion and it was so crazy! People were lined up days in advance!