Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Soup & Memories

The Plaza Lights

Tonight I am making a recipe that reminds me of home. Plaza III Steak Soup. Growing up, this hearty soup was one of my mom's supper classics and a special treat!

My mom snatched this recipe out of the Kansas City Star once when they printed it years ago. The recipe is from The
Plaza III Steakhouse. Plaza III is recognized as one of the TOP TEN Steakhouses in America and one of their few locations is in the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri.

Since so much of my family lives in Kansas City, I have taken many trips to the city. Over the years I have come to appreciate some neat things about it. Going to the Plaza during the holidays to see the Plaza lights on display is a must for me when I am there near Christmas. Of course there are other KC favorites, which include Smokestack BBQ, El Sombrero and good ol' Worlds of Fun, but tonight while sipping on some warm soup I'll be thinking about my mom and dad and all the good memories I have from visits to Kansas City. I'll also be looking forward to my upcoming road trip to KC to meet my newest niece or nephew who is due to arrive in less than 3 weeks!

Heidi, we are about to create a lot of (hopefully fun and enjoyable) memories as we stuff us, our luggage and our 3 kids (and their luggage) into your car and head towards the mid-west. I'm really looking forward to it! :)

Edit: Someone requested the recipe, so here it is...

PLAZA III STEAK SOUP
From: Plaza III Restaurant in Kansas City

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cans (10 1/2 oz. each) beef consomme
1 (8 oz) can tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onions
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 pound ground round (browned and drained) OR 1 pound leftover grilled steak, chopped
1 (10 oz) package frozen mixed vegetables

Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat until just melted, do not brown. Whisk in the flour to form a smooth paste. Cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes, whisking constantly.

Whisk in the consomme until smooth and slightly thickened. Bring to a full boil.

Add the tomatoes and their juices, carrots, celery, onions, bouillon cubes, Kitchen Bouquet, and pepper. Return to a full boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Stir occasionally.

While simmering vegetables, cook the ground round over medium heat until browned. Drain off the grease from meat.

Add the ground round and frozen veggies to the soup. Simmer, covered, for another 15 minutes.

Serve with oyster crackers.

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Well... What's the recipe????!!!

Jana said...

When I have time, I'll type it up for those of you who are intersted. :)

H said...

Mmm - thanks for posting this recipe! I am adding it to the "to cook" list.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! We too are looking forward to your arrival her in the Midwest! I can't wait to get my hands on my other 3 grandbabies as well as the new one whom we will meet in 3 weeks. It will almost seem like Christmas to me, except that Kane and Jeph won't be here. :-( But having our 7 grandbabies all together for the first time will be a blessing I won't be able to contain. God is so good! We are praying for traveling mercies for all that precious cargo! We love you all so much! I wish I was there to eat the soup with you tonight! I love that soup! See you all very soon!
Love, Mom

Susanna Rose said...

Sounds delicious Jana...Rick would love it so I'll have to try it! I visited KC twice growing up and have great memories of it...hope you have fun there with Heidi and your kids! You guys are brave to be doing a road trip with all of them!:)

Patrick and Laren Barker said...

A Plaza III Steakhouse just opened up in Birmingham not too long ago. Maybe we can eat there next time you visit.