Monday, July 16, 2007

How Hard Can it Be?!

As all of you know---we have moved and spent the last week trying to get settled. One item we determined we needed was a medicine cabinet for our bathroom. There are NO drawers in our master bath so everything had to either be under the sink in a large cabinet or behind the door in the linen closet. Although I am very thankful for both spaces, neither work well for frequently used small items such as a toothbrush. I was using baskets at first---one for Kane's essentials, one for mine and several others for other things. The baskets are still in use for most things, but we decided it was worth investing in a medicine cabinet to mount on the wall directly beside the sinks for those items we grab for everyday---sometimes more than once.

So, we headed to the local Home Depot to pick out a medicine cabinet. With only 3 needed features in mind, we figured--How hard can it be?...to find a basic 1) nice looking medicine cabinet with 2) 2 adjustable shelves inside that 3) didn't cost a fortune.

We found that the cheapest ones didn't look great, even though they had 2 shelves (although NOT adjustable). The nice looking one that was affordable only came with 1 shelf and the rest were pretty with 2+ adjustable shelves, but were rather expensive. So, we left empty handed thinking we could do better.

The next outing was just Mara Kate and I while Kane was working. We were running errands and stopped in at Lowe's to see what they carried. And, they had it! A nice white wood cabinet with a silver knob as well as 2 adjustable shelves and it was in our price range! Great! So, I bought it and brought it home. Now, just to get it installed.

A day later Kane took it out of the box and opened it---the shelves were missing. No shelves! Ahh! So, having another errand to run that evening I took it back to Lowe's planning to simply exchange it. I get to Lowe's and after speaking with the store clerk find out that they are out. I must have bought the last one in their stock. He was very helpful though and told me the closest Lowe's was only 10 minutes away and he would call and see if they had it. They did, and they pulled it off the shelf and put my name on it. I got directions to the other location, stopped back at the returns desk to finish returning the first one and headed out the door with a store credit. I went to the "Fashion Bath" department and sure enough they had the box waiting on me. I told the clerk that I was going to open it and make sure it had all the parts. It did so I purchased it and brought it home.

Saturday Kane was going to install it. He got it out and began reading the instructions. He realized that he didn't own a drill bit big enough for the job. Another jaunt out. I was headed out to IKEA anyway and so I stopped in Wal-mart to pick up the needed drill bit. They don't even carry one that large. So, since I was already out I decided I would go ahead and make the trek across town to Home Depot. They had it--thankfully, although it was outrageously priced. I got it and brought it back to Kane...ok, NOW we could get this thing installed!

Wait--the new drill bit was too big for Kane's drill! Ahhh again! (at least we hadn't opened it and can return it for our money back). So, then came the brain storming. I came up with one idea. Kane talked to his dad and his dad modified my idea and we came up with a plan for how to drill some rather large holes in our wall without a rather large drill bit. It finally worked and the medicine cabinet is now installed and looks really great. It is working and looking great too!

Oh, the joys of moving!

(by the way, the second medicine cabinet ended up costing us a few cents less at the 2nd Lowe's because it was in a different county with a slightly lower tax rate!)


The finished product...


3 comments:

H said...

That looks really nice! We don't have drawers in our bathrooms either and are currently using a Sterlite (I think that is the name) three drawer plastic thing, with one of the plastic drawers removed so that it fits, and a basket in our bathroom. Everything feels so cluttered - you've inspired me to look for a medicine cabinet!

Anonymous said...

"for those items we grab for everyday---sometimes more than once" Jana Ruth...would you, by any chance, be referring to your toothbrush? Which you 'grab for' at least 6 times a day? ;) Seriously, it looks great. Who would have thought you'd need such a special drill bit to install a basic medicine cabinet? It's a homestore conspiracy :) Can't wait to see it-and your whole apartment-in person!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so what was the secret drill technique? Might need to know that someday.