Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Newest Project

Here are pictures of my newest creative project. This one was actually started several months ago and will be a joint effort between me and my mother in law. She picked out the precious fabric. I picked out the smocking pattern and am currently working on the hand stitched smocking. Once I finish with it I will pass it back to my mother in law and she will sew the dress together for me (not my favorite part). I first thought Mara Kate would wear this dress on Easter, but as you can see it wasn't quite ready. Our next deadline is for a special wedding we will be attending later this summer for Kane's younger brother and his fiance, Laren.

So be sure to check back here for a future post featuring pictures of the completed dress! :)



If you look at the bottom left hand corner of the design you will see that I am in the middle of working on the bottom row--stitching an up/down design called a 2-step wave stitch. The stitching on the bottom row to the right you can pick out a "diamond" design. I have 2 more rows to complete after this one and then I will add some "flowerettes" to different portions to embellish the design a little bit. This is my 4th dress to smock and I can tell with each one my stitches become more even and straighter. It takes practice, but once you get the hang of a few basic stitches it is pretty easy and really FUN (if you like this type of thing).

The pattern/plate I am using is an Ellen McCarn design called Sweet William (Princess).

1 comments:

Andria said...

I love it Jana! Great job! I'm glad that I was able to see you in action and so I can appreciate it even more. I can't wait to see her wearing it!