Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Smocking

I have a new hobby--it is smocking, as in smocking little dresses for Mara Kate. Back in March when I was in Arkansas visiting my aunt and uncle my aunt got me started on learning this new skill and I LOVE it. It is really easier than it looks and it is something I can do and have a beautiful finished product, something I can dress Mara Kate in for church or other special occasions. My first project was a ginham fabric with the smocking in all white and now I am working on a floral print fabric with pink smocking. For those of you who are interested, here are some pictures of the raw project as it looks right now. I will post pictures of the dress once it is all sewn together and ready to be worn.

Here is a pic of what the pattern you follow looks like on paper.


And this is what it looks like stitched on the fabric (this fabric was my first attempt)

Here is the floral fabric I am working with for my second dress.


Here is the smocking I have finished so far.


And a little farther away


Here is a pic of Mara Kate in a dress Kane's mom smocked for her...so this is what the finished product looks like---all the stitches are stretched around the neck and over the shoulders.

So, anyway, this is what I have been up to in my spare time---the little bit I have these days. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mara Kate, you are soooooooooo cute!! I love you so much!

Jordana said...

hey Jana! that is wonderful! what a great thing to be able to do for your little girl! :-)

Susanna Rose said...

Jana...I'm very impressed! You are a jack of all trades! When/if we have a little girl, you'll have to teach me!

Anonymous said...

i dreamed about smocking after reading your blog the other day. :)

i need to email you!

Anonymous said...

Do you ever have to smock Kane around a little bit? =)