Sunday, December 04, 2005

Our Birth Story

I woke up at 4:30am Sunday morning (Nov. 27th--exactly 1 week before my due date) to use the restroom. I laid back down and couldn't go back to sleep due to some contractions. I had been having mini contractions the day before, but nothing timeable or consistent, so my first reaction was to just ignore them thinking they would go away, like the others had. After about 15 minutes I realized that they were coming fairly close together and I heard a "pop", so I decided I better get up to see if I could time them.

I went in our living room and sat down (where my mom was sleeping on our sleeper couch). As I sat down I felt a wetness and realized that my water had just broken. I got up to check and make sure and there was another gush---so I knew it WAS time to head to the hospital. I woke Kane up and told him, "It's time!" He got up, started packing and called the doctor. We headed to the hospital at about 5:30am. It was actually a perfect time to go as it was dark and there was no traffic on the road. Kane took me to the ER and wheeled me up to the labor and delivery floor in a wheelchair. I was checked in by 6am. I was dialated to 4 cm and was about 80% effaced when I got to the hospital. I had several contractions (about 4 minutes apart) while they hooked up my iv and got me started on fluids, so I could get my epidural. About 45 minutes later I got an epidural (which was wonderful!) and I was very comfortable from then on. My legs were numb, but I could still wiggle my toes. I felt very relaxed. At about 9am the doctor came and checked me and I was dialated to 6cm and 100% effaced. The doctor told me that I would be checked again at 11am and he thought I might deliver around 1pm based on what he saw.

When they checked me at 11am I was completely dialated and I was told I was ready to push (much sooner than the doctor expected). I started pushing with the nurse and after about 30 minutes or so, the doctor came in--I was very close to delivery. Mara Kate was delivered at 11:59am and the doctor put her directly onto my chest. She was beautiful, even though she was covered in vernix and blood. Her eyes were wide open and she was very alert. Kane and I both were in awe and so thankful to God for such a wonderful blessing---a healthy baby girl! She just stared at us at we patted her face and stroked her head.

It was quite an experience and this week has been a time of recovering and learning many new things. Mara Kate is such a sweet little girl and a trooper. We are doing very well with nursing and all the other things new parents encounter.

Kane and I both have fallen in love with our little one. And can truly relate to the passage in Psalms 127:3..."Behold, children are a gift of the Lord; The fruit of the womb is a reward."

Father God, We thank you for this precious gift.

3 comments:

Jordana said...

Jana, that is awesome! thanks for sharing your experience! i'm so glad that everything went well...definately the best way to have a baby...nice and short! :-) What a blessing!
Continue to persevere through these next few weeks...you and Mara Kate will get adjusted to each other and things will start smoothing out! I'm proud of you! You are going to be an awesome Mom...and I can't wait to see you in action! :-)

Anonymous said...

that's great!

Anonymous said...

Jana-
You couldn't have planned it any better than that, huh? :) God is so good! She is such a sweetie..makes me hope that God gives us a girl someday! Enjoy!!! This is one of the best times of your life.
-Heidi