Friday, September 23, 2005

Kitchen Experiment

If any of you know my husband at all---you know that he is a chemist and loves to be in the lab and loves to do experiments. You would also know that he isn't a cook and he thinks cooking is work--not fun!

Well, earlier this week Kane came home and informed me that he was going to make a key lime pie. We are going to a cookout this weekend and he signed up to bring dessert---not just any dessert--key lime pie to be exact--his favorite. Now, he has this recipe, which he received via email from his college roommate, Josh. Last weekend while we were in Knoxville Kane got to have some hang out time with Josh and they cooked together---(well, Josh cooked while Kane watched.) Josh made key lime pie.

Josh emailed the recipe to Kane and told him that he thought he might actually ENJOY making it as the recipe is very exact with detailed instructions---so in a way it may seem like an "experiment" of sorts. So, tonight Kane will make the first half of the pie---then it will chill or "react" overnight and then be ready for the second half tomorrow morning. I have bought all the needed chemicals...ur-uh...ingredients so everything should be ready to go.

We'll let everyone know how it turns out. I am just thrilled that Kane and I will be able to spend some quality time together--in the kitchen---and that I will be helping HIM this time! I have thought for a long time that cooking is like chemistry in a way---and I have mentioned this to Kane in the past---but at least now he is listening--listening to Josh that is!

But, hey! Whatever works!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds great! What fun... and a cooking husband!

Anonymous said...

It's kind of like the difference in when one of his professors tells him that something is "easy" and when one of his classmates does. Kane knows that I am (or at least used to be) as inept in the kitchen as he is, so he probably figures that it's much more likely he could actually do it if I could do it, as opposed to you, who he knows is good at cooking.

Besides, that recipe is really amazing to me each time I do it. It fills the crust so perfectly without going over.

~Joshua

Anonymous said...

It is SO funny how excited Josh gets about the pie filling up the crust perfectly each time. :-)

Anonymous said...

How did it turn out?

Anonymous said...

Fortunately you have a Dad who can answer your cooking questions whenever they come up (well, most of them, anyway!)

Anonymous said...

Well, I received good approval from Rick, Susanna, Pat, Jana, and Jordan (a two year old--so you know it's got to be good). Seems like the pie was a success. I did alter it in one way--green food coloring. Call me crazy, but if it has lime in the name, it should be green. Two drops of food coloring to the pie filling did the trick. One note, how the heck does one fold a colloid? Cooking terms are so illogical.

Zoid, thanks for sharing the recipe. I was equally amazed at how well the recipe fits into the crust. I thought for sure it was going to overflow.

I'll be making the pie again next week for another get together. I guess I'm getting the hang of this kitchen chemistry ... err ... cooking stuff.

Susanna Rose said...

Guys,

The pie was delicious and looked great too (always good when both of those things can happen successfully!!) Good job Kane and I'm honored that we could be the tasters of your first pie!