Saturday, August 06, 2005

Mmm..Mmm Good

I just finished eating a piece of the birthday cake my mom baked for me while she was here this weekend--it is one of my favorite kinds of cake, Red Velvet.

This weekend has been so special--spending time with my Mom, Dad and Alley, my niece. I was very proud of Alley for leaving home without her mom and dad to spend the weekend with me in Atlanta. We all had a good time visiting and I think Alley especially enjoyed the "house" I made for her by hanging up my canopy above my bed and letting it hang down on all sides enclosing her in her own little castle---she was quite the princess! She thanked me numerous times for her "house".

Mom made a special "dinner" for me as well as the cake---it seemed like another childhood birthday, which I am not so sure I am ready to outgrow. I am so thankful for the blessing of family and value the time we have together so much more than I used to, now that the times spent are fewer and far between.

Mom, Dad--thank you so much for taking the time to come and help make this birthday special-- like you have so many years in the past. I love you both!

And for all my cooking friends out there---here is the Red Velvet Cake recipe---it is truly Mmm...Mmm Good!

Red Velvet Cake

1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 oz. red food coloring
1 oz. water
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbls. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. vinegar

Have butter at room temperature. Put all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix until well blended. Pour into greased & floured cake pans (1 9'x13' or 2 9' cake pans). Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 30 minutes. Check cake to see when it pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool completely.

Cream Cheese Icing:

3 oz. cream cheese (my mom uses a bit more--it won't hurt)
1 1 lb. box powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 Tbsp. milk

Mix until smooth. Ice cake.

Enjoy!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jana,

I just finished eating a piece of the cake you sent home with us. It reminded me of you and a very pleasant weekend with you and Kane and Little Lyle. We really enjoyed being with you to help you celebrate your birthday, and especially in surprising you. Kane, thanks for your help in pulling off the surprise. We love you Jana. Happy Birthday again.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jana and Kane,
We had a wonderful time coming down and surprising you! I am so glad that God worked out my work schedule so that we could even think about doing this. It was so much fun! Part of the fun was knowing that you would be glad. Kane, thanks for helping us pull it off! I am glad you are enjoying the cake. I had a tiny piece tonight myself! It is especially good with coffee! Yum! It was a joy to see you both. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

We're glad you guys made it down here too. Thanks for being willing to make the drive. I feel sorry for Alley's new nickname. Who would've thought that she would take Little Lyle, along with Gator, Dog Face, and the rest. I think she may have to have counsleing for this later on.

Anonymous said...

Shhhhh....Don't spoil the surprise for Kane (Even Alley knows who Little Lyle is)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but Grant wasn't here this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jana, I wish we could have been there to celebrate with you guys (and have some of that cake, too!) BUT, we will be there VERY SOON! Jeph still has to get the "final word" from work to get the time off, but it looks like everything is good to go! (Call me tomorrow (Mon) and we'll talk details!

Anonymous said...

I actually did get a bite of that yummy cake last night since we were here while Michael worked on the floor...it tasted like your birthday!

Anonymous said...

Actually, "Little Lyle" is apparently a temporary honorary name given to ALL of my grandchildren while still in the womb. Then, upon birth, their whole environment, as they have known it, including even their name, is shattered by the light of day and a new, completely unfamiliar name is thrust upon them without their having any say in the matter. Eventually, they get used to the new, artificial name, and as time goes on, even respond to it.