Sunday, August 14, 2005

Humility

"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7


So often in life we respond incorrectly to our circumstances---we so easily fall into pride (when things are going well) and anxiety (when we become fearful).

The cure to these incorrect responses is HUMILITY--humility before the Lord. Allowing Him to work in our lives and allowing Him to exalt us in His proper timing. Recognizing that He is the only one worthy of praise (not us and our prideful hearts) and He is the only one who can control our circumstances and therefore remove our anxieties.

Today I have just been struck by this after hearing a sermon this morning on the above passage. So often in life fear grips me, because I fail to trust God and I fail to remain humble before Him. I instead try to protect and provide for myself---all the while robbing Him of what he desires to do---the promise He has given--to lift me up at the proper time.

I pray that I will be able to get out of the way and allow God to do what He has promised to do---without my help.

OK, so just some random ramblings and thoughts...


"Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord
Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord-- and HE shall lift you up-
higher and higher and He shall lift you up."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no greater joy than to hear my children walk in truth. 3 John 2
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

AMEN!