Thursday, August 18, 2005

hos·pi·tal·i·ty

"hos·pi·tal·i·ty
  1. Cordial and generous reception of or disposition toward guests.
  2. An instance of cordial and generous treatment of guests."
Last weekend Kane and I had a visitor. Kane's brother Patrick stayed with us Saturday night on his way through Atlanta headed home to Knoxville after a summer internship at a camp in Florida. We hadn't seen him since his trip to Florida at the beginning of the summer. We really enjoyed our visit with him and am glad he decided to stay a few extra hours than planned to visit with us too. :)

Patrick hasn't been our only visitor since we have lived in Atlanta. We have had many come and go over the past months. Iv'e realized that if I must live in this overwhelmingly large, congested & hot city---I am thankful it is at least somewhat centrally located and one that many people travel to and through fairly often.

One of the things that I really wanted to work on and get better at after getting married was HOSPITALITY---and I really thank God for each opportunity He has provided for Kane and I to have others into our home. Even though our apartment is small and all we have to offer our overnight guests is a sleeper sofa for a bed---we offer it as often as we can. We both LOVE having people in our home--making them feel welcome and comfortable.

As I think back to the visitors we have had--I have many fond memories. Some that I remember early on were my mom & dad coming to bring all our wedding gifts after we got back from our honeymoon (so much fun). Good 'ol Regan coming for a day or two in there somewhere. Betsy driving down in her newly aquired "guy magnet" station wagon--I remember us sitting at the breakfast table and talking together until we realized it was, that's right---lunch time! :)

Looney has been here, Jordana and Matthew have come through. Kane's mom and dad have come several times--on their way to and from Korea and on other occasions as well. Elizabeth and Choonghwan, Heidi and Jeph, Tara, Alley & Liam. We've also enjoyed meals with the Holbrooks, Carol and Hanlon, Bryan, Thomas and more...

As I write--I am very excited about a first time visitor who will arrive in just a couple days! Our 4 month old nephew, Grant Nicholas Guinan is coming to visit (oh, yeah--and he is bringing his mommy and daddy too). I can't wait to see him and hold him and cuddle with him---I am ready for a "Grant-fix" for sure.

I am so thankful to God for all of these times we've shared over the past year and the memories made. I look forward to many more as the years go on. I also look forward to teaching this little one in my womb and Lord willing, other children to come what it means to be hospitable--and how much fun it can be!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are very excited about coming! Grant has several things he's been needing to do in Atlanta and is so grateful to have an Aunt and Uncle to stay with. He said he doesn't mind us coming along, but wants to know if we'll spot the money for gas!

Anonymous said...

You are very hospitable! I really enjoyed my visit with you, and I really need to come again one of these days!

Anonymous said...

It is a real joy to spend time in your home. You are very good at sharing the art of hospitality. It is a new experience for Dad and I to have children living in another city, so that we have to stay overnight when we come. I love it! I don't like that you are farther away, but I love staying at your home! We do like the new sleeper couch a lot, too! :) We look forward to many many times at your home, and hopefully it won't always be so far away from us! Love, Mom