Friday, August 28, 2009

Catching Up

It has been quite awhile since I've been a consistent blogger. Sorry about that. After our move to Rome and working fery hard to get settled, I had to leave town for an unplanned road trip to Missouri. My grandmother had back surgery about 3 months ago and was recovering nicely until some blood clots in her lungs sent her back into the hospital from the rehab center.

Over the past 3 months we almost lost her several times, but each time she would pull through and begin on the road to recovery. A few weeks ago her kidneys began failing again and when the doctor said dialysis was needed, she refused. She knew full-well that refusing dialysis, meant her days were numbered. After spending 3 months in the hospital that was her wish, to just go home to heaven. My grandfather passed away last July and my grandmother had had a very, very lonely year at home. I know she was just ready to be finished with all the pain, lonliness and suffering she had been enduring. Although, I understand where she was coming from, it was still very hard to hear the news that she had refused the dialysis. Once I got that call my sister and I decided it was time to pack our bags and head back to Kansas City (after just getting home from there just a month earlier). We arrived in Kansas City in time to spend some time with my grandmother while she was still alive and able to communicate. I cherish those days we were able to surround her hospital bed and sing hymns to her, talk with her and just let her know we were with her and we loved her. I am also thankful for the time we had to say our goodbyes....something we didn't have the opportunity to do with my grandpa who died suddenly one afternoon after he finished mowing his grass.

My grandmother passed away in the middle of the night on August 17th. We stayed in Kansas City that whole week preparing for her funeral service. We also spent time going through her house and dividing up her belongings. This was a hard process too and one we hadn't had to face when my grandfather passed away, so needless to say, this trip was very tiring and draining both emotionally and physically. I ended up being away from home for almost 2 weeks and by the time we were on the road headed back to Georgia I was desperate to be back home, in Rome, with Kane. As I drove the last 3 hours of that trip the reality of Grandma being gone started to sink in in a different and more real way. For the 3 months she was in the hospital my dad would call me often to give me updates and I was always concerned that it would be bad news. Now that she is gone, I no longer have to wonder how Grandma is doing today---I know she is in a better place alongside my grandpa with Jesus! In her last days she told us, "I'll get to see Jesus everyday!" What a comfort this is to me, knowing this is true.

So, now I am home and trying to finish getting settled in and getting caught back up in our daily life and routine. Mara Kate is in "detox" having to get back into taking naps (or at least resting) in the afternoons and going to bed at a decent hour. While we were in Kansas City all routine went out the window as we were too busy and focused on other things to care. Mara Kate got used to playing with her 6 cousins everyday for almost 2 weeks and now it's just her and me, so yes, she has some adjusting to do now that we are home. But, it has been nice to be back in my own bed and to be with Kane again.

Now that I am home again, I am hoping to blog more consistently again.

A few random updates on other recent happenings:

*Kane has started teaching this week and so far it is going well. Today he will be wearing his Ph.D regalia for the first time as Shorter is having an opening ceremony for all the new students this morning. He'll wear it again in December at Georgia Tech's graduation ceremony that he will be walking at.

Modeling his regalia with Mara Kate. She is very proud of her Daddy and so am I!

The hood

The embroidered Georgia Tech seals. Very nice!

*Also, we had been in the market for awhile for a 2nd car as we lived for 5 years during graduate school with only one set of wheels. While I was in Kansas City Kane did some car shopping and bought a 2006 Ford Taurus. We will go pick it up Saturday from the dealer. I haven't seen it (or even pictures of it), so I hope I like it ok. It's just a tool, nothing fancy, which is all we need, so I think it'll be fine. I'm just thankful we will each have a car now that Kane can't walk to work.

*I am really enjoying our home and look forward to when every little thing has a home and everything is settled. We are still working on that, but it is coming together slowly.

*I am looking forward to visitors coming soon. My sister and brother in law in Alabama are planning to come see us sometime soon and my parents will be here in early October too. I can't wait for everyone to see our new home in Rome!

Some pictures of us enjoying the great outdoors around our new home!

Mara Kate helping to water my container garden.

Playing "catch" in the back yard with Daddy with her new softball mitt.


Aunt Jane said...

Your post was so good to read! I am glad you are back home with Kane, but I did enjoy spending time with you and Mara Kate. It was a tough 2 weeks, but I think we all are closer because of our time together. I love you!

Christy said...

So glad to catch up on things and how you're doing. Much love,

Susanna Rose said...

Glad you're back! I was wondering where you'd gone! I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma but what a comfort to know she is with her savior!

babiesforRuby said...

Kane looks gorgeous...I mean, so distinguished!! :)

Congrats on those seals on your hood.

and, you have a car 10 yrs newer than ours now!! (that means you have a brand spanking new one :)) I hope you love it and enjoy all the miles you ride in it. you are still missed, too