Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Poor Baby

This morning Mara Kate and I headed over to Katie's for our weekly play date. Katie and I were busy visiting while the girls were playing dress up, as usual. Dressing up as princesses is something they do every time they play together, so that wasn't a big deal. The problem came when Mara Kate tried to walk down the stairs to Ella Ann's room while decked out in her poofy princess ballgown and dress up high heels. She couldn't even see her feet I am sure due to the many layers of her fancy skirt. She apparently missed a step and fell face down, down the stairs. She hit her mouth pretty hard and got a bad cut on her bottom lip as well as a gash on her top gum above her teeth. When we heard both girls crying (Mara Kate was crying because she was hurt and Ella Ann was crying because Mara Kate was hurt and she didn't know what to do) we came running.

We found Mara Kate with her feet stuck up in the air. Her ball gown had flipped over the top of her head and all we could see was fabric. When Katie lifted her up and handed her to me, she looked down and saw a pool of blood on the stairs. This happened about the same time I saw blood on Mara Kate's mouth. It was a doozy for sure. Katie and I were both shaken up, partly because it took quite awhile for the bleeding to stop, in spite of the pressure I was putting on it.

Katie called her dentist and talked to him over the phone and he told us what to watch for. I eventually left and took Mara Kate over to Ga Tech to let Kane look at it and help me decide if I should take her to the dentist. He took one look at her and said, "GO!" So, we headed immediately over to the dentist who graciously squeezed her in. He said that it looks worse than it actually is and told me that the amount of swelling that was present and the oozing was normal for the hit she took. But, he also told me exactly what to watch for that could be a sign of possible infection over the next couple weeks.

I'm glad I took her in as I feel much better knowing a professional was able to take a good look at her. Also, I'm so thankful that she isn't hurt any worse.

She looks like she's been in quite a fight, but hopefully in a few weeks she'll be as good as new.




My poor baby!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OW! Poor little thing!!! Glad you got her in to see the dentist...it's really hard to see your baby hurting so much. :(

Andria said...

OUCH! That looks terrible. I am so glad the dentist said she'll be fine.

tuie said...

Please know that wet tissue turns white/grey and looks worse than it is. Give her a popsicle and tell her that Tuie says it is good medicine.

Unknown said...

Bless her little heart. EA and I have talked about her and thought about her all day. That was quite an event and I'm so glad she is going to be okay. We had to rehash the whole thing again at the dinner table! EA and I kept praying for her to feel better. I will have to make sure I never have another injured princess!

P.S. EA fell down the steps tonight b/c she tripped on her bobbie! She just hit her elbow and cried for a minute...thankgoodness! Reason #220 we need out! :)

Janelle said...

Poor girl!! Glad you got some peace of mind from the dentist!

Gator said...

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Poor MK! That looks like it hurts SO bad! I'll be praying for it to go away soon! Love you guys! :)

Dad said...

Sweet baby girl. Tell her Grandpa is so sorry she got hurt. Looks like some chocolate milk may be needed! Love you, Mara Kate!

Aunt Jane said...

Poor MK! She looks like she is being so brave...hope she is as good as new soon! Give her lots of love and popsicles!

Courtney said...

Ouchie! Bless her heart!! :(

Papadog said...

"Ditto" on the popsicles ! ( Do they make 'pie-flavored' ones ? )
Tuie says your injury is already healing & starting to look better.

I'm excited about coming to see you,(and your parents), next week.

Love you bunches !!! Papadog