Thursday, June 12, 2008

Girls Trip

The Martha Washington Inn ~ Abingdon, Virginia

Because I am leaving today for an all girl's trip with the girls on Kane's side of the family, I decided it would be fun to have a date night last night with Kane since I won't be seeing him for almost a week. One of the dear people in our home fellowship group graciously agreed to watch Mara Kate so we could have some alone time together.

Kane and I tried a new place for supper that we had heard about from our friend's the Lopez's. We really liked it. The atmosphere was very low key and the food was simply excellent! Very fresh and more authentic than usual. I'm so glad we decided to try a new place. While waiting for our check we decided we'd go see a movie, something else we don't do very often. We decided on a kid's movie, Kung Fu Panda. We knew it wouldn't be as long and we were in the mood for something light-hearted and fun...and fun it was! Very cute, probably too "scary" for Mara Kate at her age as there was a lot of Kung Fu fighting and scenes that would probably be too intense for a 2 year old. But, Kane and I really enjoyed it! Jack Black did a great job playing the panda.

And, Mara Kate had a great time with Miss Diane! They read books, played with puppets, worked several puzzles and did some exploring around Diane's condo property (and Mara Kate picked me a flower)...so sweet. :) This was Mara Kate's first time to go to Diane's and I wasn't sure how she would do. I knew that she likes Diane and Diane has been to our house once and we see her at church and twice a month at our home fellowship group, so I was so pleased when we came to pick her up and she wasn't even missing us! We even had to "wait" while she and Miss Diane finished the puzzle they were working on. :) It is so nice to have friends who are willing to do these kinds of things to help you out (even when you don't have the resources to pay them) when you don't have any family local. God is good to provide people in our lives who can be our stand-in family when our real family is too far away. Thanks to all our wonderful friends who have made us feel loved and like family the past few years.

Today Mara Kate and I will be heading out of town. Mara Kate will be staying the weekend at my in-laws house with my father-in-law. My two sisters in law and I will be going with Kane's mom for a little girl's weekend away. We are heading to Charlottesville, Virginia first to stay at a bed and breakfast for a couple nights then we are heading to Abingdon, Virginia (of all places---sort of "home" to me, my old stomping grounds--Abingdon is just 10 miles up the road from where I lived when I met Kane). I am actually very excited about spending some time in Abingdon as it is a lovely little town and although I'm very familiar with it, I've never stayed at the beautiful Martha Washington Inn before, so that will really be a special treat. Also, we'll be seeing a play at the Barter Theater and I'm excited about that as well. I think it will be a nice time away.

Over the weekend Kane will go up to his parents to stay with his dad and Mara Kate. They will be spending some time with both of Kane's grandfathers on Father's Day, so that will be nice for all of them. I think Mara Kate will do fine without me as I know her time will be filled with fun activities with her PapaDog. I heard he is getting a small toddler pool for her to splash around in, so she will be thrilled with that!

I'll be sure to post some pictures of our trip next week sometime!

3 comments:

Jordana said...

yay! would love to see you for even just a sec, if you have that while you are here! :-)

I hope you all have a wonderful time - enjoy your girl time!!

Katie said...

I'm glad you all had a good time last night and Mara Kate did so well! Your trip will be so fun! I wanted to tell you I'm currently reading "Searching for Eden" and the entire book takes place in Abingdon! It sounds like a cute, quaint town from what I read in the book. See you when you get home!

Love,
K

Andria said...

I am so glad you guys liked it! I was just about to write you to ask. Sounds like you had a fun date night. Have a wonderful weekend away and we'll catch up when you return.
Love,
Andria