Thursday, April 26, 2007

Learning all the Time


Mara Kate has been sick this week. As far as we can tell it is just a little cold---runny nose, gunky eyes and not sleeping too well. Lately I have been feeling like I have lost my baby somewhere over the past few months. She is little Miss Independent these days and will practically NEVER be still enough on my lap for me to enjoy cuddle time and is always wriggling down to do something more important and fun! But, the last few days we have had a few sweet times of rocking together, cuddling in bed or in the recliner and for a few minutes here and there I have held my little baby again (and tried to take it all in and cherish it).

When Mara Kate was really tiny and fussed a lot I would try to rock, nurse, cuddle and soothe her to get her to stop fussing. I didn't appreciate those times as much as I should have. I just wanted to her STOP FUSSING! Why is it we never appreciate things while in the moment? I want to try and do that more deliberately as she continues to grow.

She has recently learned the word "no" and uses it even when she doesn't mean it, but when I ask her, "Do you love Mama" and her response is a simple, polite and quiet "No" it hurts just a bit somewhere deep down. I know she doesn't mean it and she is simply experimenting with her vocabulary, but still, it hurts.

I am amazed at the words she understands and the words she can say. Her vocabulary currently includes:

no
mama (only when she wants something--never to address me)
daddy
e-i-e-i-o
ducky
quack quack
ruff-ruff
please (she attempt to say this when she is "signing" it)
ball
Pa-Pa (for Papa and Grandpa)
Heidi
de-de (for Mimi and BeBe)
Tuie (she says Tu-Te)
hi
bye-bye

...some more pictures of our big girl!


Even though she isn't feeling too good, she is happy and smiling.


Curls!

These pictures were taken right after bath time. I thought she looked so cute
with her freshly clean, curly hair and lavender bow! I wish you could smell her too---
she smells SO GOOD right now! (I just love that clean baby smell).

Mara Kate will be 17 months old tomorrow---which truly doesn't seem possible. We sure are enjoying the joy, smiles, laughter, discovery and sweet aroma she adds to our home!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hi! I just wanted to tell you how much Mara Kate looks like you in those pictures! I can really see your smile and face in her! I thought you'd appreciate it since you did all the work for 9 long months and I always have told you she looks like Kane! See you tonight!
love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

As it turns out, little Miss Independent is the daughter of another Miss Independent, who was always too busy wriggling down to go and do instead of sit and cuddle. She comes by it very honestly!!