Friday, December 30, 2005

Holiday Road Trip

As for many people, our Christmas holiday included traveling. This year our time in the car was different from any other trip taken in the past. It was Mara Kate's first road trip and our first time to travel with a baby. The trip up to Bristol went very well with a pit stop halfway in Knoxville to see Papa Dog, eat and stretch.

While in Bristol, my sister Heidi hosted a little "drop in" shower at a local coffee shop which was great. So many friends came to see us and meet Mara Kate and it was a joy showing off our new blessing. Heidi, thank you SO MUCH for putting that together---I enjoyed it so much. Kane and I were also able to eat at our favorite Bristol restuarants, Shang Hi and La Caretta and we spent some wonderful time with my parents, sisters, nieces & nephews. My mom made her holiday baking traditions which our tastebuds really appreciated. Thanks mom--it wouldn't be the same without the cherry winks, surprise meringes and the rice krispy wreath. YUMM!

We enjoyed opening presents with everyone and taking many pictures of ALL 5 grandchildren Christmas Eve. Christmas morning we woke up to overflowing stockings and yummy french toast for breaskfast and then it was off to church. What a joy to be able to worship our Lord on Christmas morning.

We spent Christmas evening with Kane's entire extended family. Mara Kate met her great aunts, uncles and grandparents as well as many cousins. Everyone passed her around and she enjoyed every minute of it. The day after Christmas we celebrated Christmas again with the Barker family and had an extremely LAZY day (I must confess Mara Kate and I were in our PJ's until after 4:30pm). :) We opened gifts, ate good food, watched a movie and napped---a wonderful day all the way around.

We truly enjoyed ourselves and all the help with Mara Kate (many hands make light work), but we are thankful to be home again, and settling back into our normal (whatever that is) routine. I love unpacking new gifts and putting them to good use back at home---that is something I like about the new year---starting it out with some new toys. :)

We hope everyone else had a very Merry Christmas and has a Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a great Christmas! It was so good to have you all here together! I am so glad that Mara Kate got to meet so many of her aunts, uncles, great grandparents and great aunts and uncles so soon after she was born. I know it was a different experience traveling than ever before. But I am thankful that you made it safely on the rainy roads and that you had a good time everywhere you went. The drop-in shower was really nice and I am glad Heidi was able to do that for you. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us all! I can't wait to come down and see you all soon. Mara Kate will change too fast! I love you all so much! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good Christmas! It was good to see you and Kane and your family... especially that little tiny Mara Kate! She's a sweet one!

Happy NEW YEAR!